The voyage from Lisboa to Porto Santo / Madeira

AdminShifted from the Alcantara dock in Lisbao where we had stayed for 8 days to the Belem Marina, where we bunkered 80 ltr. of dieseloel. At 15.10h we let go all lines, minutes later we passed the monument of the portuguise discoverer, who left from Lisboa for the new world 500 years ago.
At the entrance of the river Tejo we set our sails, rigged the fishing gear, set the course and Porto Santo was just ahead, 482 nm away.
One hour later suddenly a very fast open motorboat crossed our stern only a few meters away, our fishing line was rolling out very fast and.....zang, the fishing gear was gone!!!!! We still have enough line, but the special bait, which we bought in Figueira was gone. We all where very angry.
But the weather was nice, the boat on course and life was easy.Frank kept the watch from 00.00h - 04.00h, Barbara from 04.00h - 08.00h and I from 08.00h - 12.00h. The days past by, the weather always fine. But even than, a lot of things had to be done. As the wind was always from aft but once from port, than from stb, we had to shift the sails pretty often. Blister up, Blister down, Mainsail up, Fock up and so on. The cooking was done by Barbara, the meals always opulent and of good taste. During the whole voayage the fullmoon was shining the whole night, so even during the night we could watch the dolphins. Frank saw a dolphin jumping up in the air just in front of the fullmoon. He said he will never forget this picture.
During the nights the wind was almost gone between 00.00h and 03.00h so we had to start the motor sometimes for a few hours, because the boat was rolling heavy and I was afraid that the sails might become damaged.
So at the end we sailed 411nm under sail and 81nm with the motor.We talked to other sailors here in Perto Santo and they motored almost 50% of the distance because of no wind.
At the 28th at 06.15 Barbara called me up, we had to change the sails. I came up and saw the black Lava Island Of Porto Santo in the morninglight in a distance of about 13nm. When the sails where ok I called up Frank, so he could see the approach of Porto Santo.
At 07.00h the dolphins came, jumped high in the air and giving us a warm welcome to Porto Santo. At 7.20h about 6 whales came close by, the skyline of Porto Santo  in the background . What a picture, what a feeling after such a voyage................
At 11.15h 28th of August we where safely moored at the pontoon in the harbour of Porto Santo.


Trackback specific URI for this entry

This link is not meant to be clicked. It contains the trackback URI for this entry. You can use this URI to send ping- & trackbacks from your own blog to this entry. To copy the link, right click and select "Copy Shortcut" in Internet Explorer or "Copy Link Location" in Mozilla.

No Trackbacks


Display comments as Linear | Threaded

No comments

Add Comment

Submitted comments will be subject to moderation before being displayed.

Enclosing asterisks marks text as bold (*word*), underscore are made via _word_.
Standard emoticons like :-) and ;-) are converted to images.
E-Mail addresses will not be displayed and will only be used for E-Mail notifications.

To prevent automated Bots from commentspamming, please enter the string you see in the image below in the appropriate input box. Your comment will only be submitted if the strings match. Please ensure that your browser supports and accepts cookies, or your comment cannot be verified correctly.